Career Level Management
Job Function Legal Services
Flutterwave was founded on the principle that every African must be able to participate and thrive in the global economy. To achieve this objective, we have built a trusted payment infrastructure that allows consumers and businesses (African and International) to make and receive payments in a convenient borderless manner.
To make it easier for Africans to build global businesses that can make and accept any payment, anywhere from across Africa and around the world
Simplifying payments for endless possibilities
About the Lead, Legal Role
This role oversees and supports the company with legal matters and propose appropriate and tailored legal solutions / advice for the benefit of the company. It also enables Flutterwave achieve its business objectives in a legally compliant way, preserve value (financial and reputational) by minimising the risk of value leakage and contract management while maintaining compliance with laws and Code of Business Conduct and ensures adequate focus to maximise business objectives and performance through contract management. The Lead, Legal will be fully involved in and supportive of the company secretarial and regulatory management agenda.
As the Lead, Legal, you will:
- Advise on all legal matters relating to corporate and project finance and assist departments in the closure of financial transactions
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of the business, commercial, investment and finance policies, procedures and regulations as directed by the Board of Directors
- Drafting a new and reviewing proposed amendments to Flutterwave’s financial, business, commercial and investment regulations, compliance regulations, governance rules of relevant divisions/departments, and associated documentation
- Propose professional commercial and legal opinion management practices and procedures, to ensure consistent and prudent legal advice and action, to Flutterwave
- Monitor and study the impact of new business, commercial, investment and finance laws, regulations and legislation that may affect Flutterwave’s business activities
- Keep abreast of global and local best practice as it relates to the unit’s activities
- Continuously review the unit/team’s activities, make recommendations for improvement and implement approved initiatives to ensure enhanced performance of the team
- Identify required resources, personnel, funding to achieve the unit’s strategy
- Establish and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Coordinate the responsibilities of the Function including supervisory and capacity development responsibility for other team members as may be
- Coordinate the responsibilities of the Function including supervisory and capacity development responsibility for other team members as may be required from time to time
- Provide commercial and creative legal solutions for all aspects of the company’s business. Managing contracts covering the whole spectrum of the business.
- Provide leadership and legal guidance on projects which may include acquisitions, disposals and new joint ventures early involvement is required in contract management and litigation management with external lawyers
- Focused on a rich variety of commercial contracts work, often high value/ high profile in nature
- Ensure good corporate governance including advising on best practice and training. More broadly also working with other Functions to ensure that the compliance agenda is fully supported
- Require minimal supervision but fully supported and allowed to take responsibility for own matters (not micromanaged)
- Be an integral part of a professional, focused and supportive team, all of whom are actively involved in business development and brilliant execution of the company’s commercial strategy
You’re a great match for this role if you have:
- Not less than twelve (12) years post-qualification experience as a practicing lawyer in a reputable commercial law firm or in the in-house legal department of a corporate entity (or equivalent)
- Strong commercial law background especially in the negotiation and documentation of commercial contracts relevant to the company’s business and giving advice in relation to all commercial activities.
- Confident, relaxed and robust personality with excellent inter-personal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound commercial lawyer with exceptional analytical, drafting and negotiating skills.
- Well organised and detail oriented, working well to deadlines and comfortable working on his/her own matters or as part of a larger team on a project.
- open and outward looking attitude
- ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers
- ability to translate strategy into action and manage risks while enabling achievement of business objectives in a compliant manner
- proven regulatory and compliance management capability
- full all-round capacity and readiness to act effectively in the role of head of legal function including management of external legal services providers
- company secretarial knowledge with strong organisational and stakeholder management skills
- Possessing maturity in temperament and judgement on matters requiring application of laws and policies to decision on facts and circumstances
- Able to proactively identify and mitigate risks to the business while facilitating delivery of desired business objectives compliantly